REGIONAL ANIMAL SHELTERS & RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS
- MSPCA Animal Care & Adoption Centers
- Thomas J. O’Connor Animal Control & Adoption Center Springfield, MA
- Second Chance Animal Shelter East Brookfield, MA
- Monadnock Humane Society West Swanzey, NH
- Berkshire Humane Society Pittsfield, MA
- Windham County Humane Society Brattleboro, VT
- Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue – in addition to offering golden retrievers for adoption, also maintains a helpful listing of rescue groups helping all kinds of purebred dogs right here in New England.
- Save a Dog Framingham, MA
- Feline Friends Agawam, MA
- Westfield Animal Shelter Westfield, MA
NATIONAL & REGIONAL HUMANE ORGANIZATIONS
- The Humane Society of the United States
- American Humane
- New England Federation of Humane Societies
- Massachusetts Animal Coalition
LOST AND FOUND PETS INFORMATION
- Missing Pet Partnership – Use this website if you have lost or found a pet. The best place to get all the info you need to find your lost pet…or find a lost pet’s family. You will be surprised at what you learn; we were!
CAT HEALTH & BEHAVIOR:
- The Cornell Feline Health Center
- The House Rabbit Connection
- The House Rabbit Network
- The House Rabbit Society
LIVING WITH WILDLIFE
- Wild Neighbors (Humane Society of the United States)
- Living with Wildlife (MSPCA)
- Institute for Humane Education
- Humane Teen – An interactive website for older kids to educate middle and high school students about animal protection activities
- NAHEE – National Association for Humane and Environmental Education
PET SEARCH ENGINES
- Pets 911
- Places for our Pets
*While Dakin offers this link as an informational tool for people looking for pet-friendly housing, it should not be construed as an endorsement of any apartment or complex.
- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell.
- When humans communicate with dogs, a lot can get lost in the translation. Teaches readers how to retrain themselves to speak consistently in a language dogs understand, and avoid sending conflicting and confusing messages.
- The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Understanding the relationship between humans and dogs. They aren’t people in furry suits!
- Dogs for Dummies by Gina Spadafori, Marty Becker
- Even if you’re not a dummy, it’s a good book if you haven’t had many dogs of your own.
- The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions by Stanley Coren
- The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and The Psychology of Dogs by Nicholas Dodman
- Pack of Two: The Intricate Bond Between People and Dogs by Caroline Knapp
TRAINING & BEHAVIOR
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
- Use behavioral training on people, dogs and other animals to make changes. End undesirable behavior; learn “affection training”.
- How to be Leader of the Pack by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D.
- Power of Positive Dog Training, 2nd Ed. by Pat Miller Walk
- away from punishment-based training methods and learn how you can reward your dog to obtain and reinforce the behaviors you could only dream about achieving!
- Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household by Karen London and Patricia McConnell, Ph.D.
- Great info for those with more than one dog at home.
- Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson
- Dog Behavior: An Owner’s Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet by Ian Dunbar
- How to Teach an Old Dog New Tricks by Ian Dunbar
- These off-leash, lure-reward techniques work on puppies and adult dogs alike. Witty, humane, reliable and FUN!
- Positive Perspectives: Love Your Dog, Train Your Dog by Pat Miller
- A complete dog training, puppy raising, problem solving, and basic health guide.
OVERCOMING DOG PROBLEMS
- The Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell
- Help for fearful dogs.
- I’ll Be Home Soon! by Patricia McConnell Help for those whose dog suffers badly from Separation Anxiety, help in preventing it from developing, and tips on how to raise a dog with good “house manners.”
- Dogs Are From Neptune by Jean Donaldson Candid answers to urgent questions about aggression and other aspects of dog behavior!
- Childproofing Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for the Children in Your Life by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson
- Mine: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs by Jean Donaldson
- For those whose dogs who have trouble sharing their “stuff” with humans.
CHOOSING A DOG
- Successful Dog Adoptions by Sue Sternberg
- Paws to Consider: Choosing the Right Dog for You and Your Family by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson
- The Merck/Merial Manual for Pet Health
- Delivers animal health expertise in everyday language that all pet owners can understand. This in-depth new resource, authored by over 200 veterinary experts, covers the full spectrum of today’s pets, from dogs, cats and horses to birds, reptiles, fish and other exotic pets.
- ASPCA Complete Dog Care Manual
- Before & After Getting Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar
- Outlines everything you need to know to select the right puppy, as well as all the crucial lessons a puppy must be taught during its impressionable early development.
- Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell
- Cats for Dummies by Gina Spadafori
- Great book for your first cat (or the first one you’ve had on your own).
- Kittens for Dummies by Dusty Rainbolt
- Great book for your first cat (or the first one you’ve had on your own).
- The New Encyclopedia of the Cat by Bruce Dogle, DVM
- A great breed book with descriptions, breed tendencies and lots of helpful information including behaviors and interactions. (Includes lots of pictures!)
- Good Owners, Great Cats by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson
- Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat–Not a Sour Puss by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- ASPCA Complete Cat Care Manual by Andrew Edney, Roger Caras
- The Cornell Book of Cats: A Comprehensive and Authoritative Medical Reference by Mordecai Siegal
- Twisted Whiskers: Solving Your Cat’s Behavior Problems by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- Great book on your cat’s behaviors, and the reasons they behave in these ways.
- Psycho Kitty? by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- shows how to plan, set up, and maintain a home environment that will help multiple cats—and their owners—live in peace.
- The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions and the Psychology of Cats by Nicholas Dodman
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul by Jack Canfield
- Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats and Everyday Heroes at a County Animal Shelter by Elizabeth Hess
- Goodbye Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Lost a Pet by Gary Kowalski
- The Bookshop Dog by Cynthia Rylant, 1996, Blue Sky Press, New York.
- Bentley and Blueberry by Randy Houk, 1993, HSUS/The Benefactory.
- Max Deluxe by Maira Kalman, 1996, Viking Books.
- Koko’s Kitten by Dr. Francine Patterson, 1985, Scholastic, Inc.
- Dog Breath by Dav Pilkey, 1994, The Blue Sky Press, New York.
- Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey, The Blue Sky Press, New York.
- Kat Kong by Dav Pilkey, The Blue Sky Press, New York.
- A Home For Nathan by Claudia Roll, 1999, The William Snyder Foundation for Animals
- A Dog’s Best Friend, An Activity Book for Kids and Their Dogs by Lisa Rosenthal, 1999, Chicago Review Press.
- Norman to the Rescue by Loren Spiotta-DiMare, 1998, HSUS/The Benefactory.
- Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters From Obedience School by Mark Teague.
- Muddy Four Paws by Jean Ure, 1998, Barron’s Educational Series, Inc.
- Snow Kittens by Jean Ure, 1998, Barron’s Educational Series, Inc.