Thank you for your interest in adopting a sheltered animal! Please read below to help you understand the steps you will take while adopting from the Dakin Humane Society. Links to these steps are located to the right.
HOW DOES THE ADOPTION PROCESS WORK?
- Visit the Dakin adoption centers and fall in love with all of the animals.
- Narrow down your list to just one or two animals (hint: this is the hardest part!). Our adoption counselors will be happy to help you choose the animal that best fits your household and lifestyle.
- Fill out our Pets and People Profile to help us make a good match.
- If you rent your home, talk to your landlord before coming to see us—it will make things easier! Some landlords have restrictions on the size and type of animals. Be sure you know what those are before you fall in love.
- If you are thinking about adopting a new dog friend, consider bringing in all members of your family (especially children and any other household dogs) to be sure everyone gets along.
- For the safety of your furry new friend, we require that you bring a cat carrier if adopting a cat, or a collar and leash if adopting a dog. We have these available for sale if you don’t have them with you at the time of adoption.
- Sign a contract agreeing to take over responsibility for the animal’s care.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL?
Because we rely entirely on donations and adoption fees to help animals in need, your adoption fee enables us to continue to help more animals. We accept cash, debit cards, MasterCard and Visa.
- Adoption fees for cats & kittens
- Adoption fees for dogs & puppies
Thanks to Dakin’s Community Spay/Neuter Clinic, nearly every single dog, puppy, cat, kitten, and rabbit we have available for adoption is already spayed or neutered. In some instances, we have moved the animals to our adoption areas to find their new families before they have had their surgery appointments. We’ll take care of that before we send them home with you, which may cause a delay of a day or two, but the cost is covered by your adoption fee.
HOW LONG DOES THE ADOPTION PROCESS TAKE?
When visiting the adoption centers, please allow yourself plenty of time to meet the animals, complete the paperwork, and ask questions. Once you chose an animal it generally takes 30 minutes to complete the necessary adoption paperwork. Most—but not all—animals are available to go home on the same day.
IF I CAN’T TAKE THE ANIMAL HOME RIGHT NOW, CAN DAKIN HOLD HIM FOR ME?
We want our animals to get adopted as quickly as possible for their own well-being. Prolonging their stay at the adoption center is something that we try very hard to avoid. But we also know that some of our adopters need time to think things over and get their supplies ready. For these reasons, we will hold animals for until the close of the following business day for an additional, non-refundable fee of $25.00, payable in advance.
WHAT ARE THE DAKIN ADOPTION HOURS? DO I NEED AN APPOINTMENT TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL?
We welcome your visit any time during our open hours—no appointment necessary!
OUR ADOPTION CENTERS’ HOURS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
ADOPTION CENTER HOURS–LEVERETT & SPRINGFIELD
Saturday and Sunday: noon to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: noon to 5:30 p.m.
Thursdays: noon to 7:30 p.m.
HOW DO I CONTACT THE ADOPTION CENTER?
You can find contact information on our Contact Us page, and directions to the adoption centers on our Directions page.